Flat File Checker (FlaFi) is an application that allows to validate a set of flat files basing on Flat File Schema (FFS). FFS is an XML document that describes the business rules that the flat files should comply with.
In addition to providing a fast and easy way to validate file set, FlaFi also streamlines the process of data exchange with external organisations. Let’s take a look at the standard process of flat file batch load:
- External agency transfers a scheduled data batch to you;
- You try to import the data batch into your system;
- If it contains errors, you either fix them yourself or ask for resupply;
- In the latter case, agency’s specialist fixes his code errors and fixes the data;
- The data is resupplied and the process starts from the beginning.
Let’s now imagine you can change your process to this:
- Data is validated externally and errors are eliminated from the batch;
- Data is transferred to you without errors;
- Data is imported into your system.
To implement this process, all we need is an automated data brief that we would be able to send to the data provider. In this case data provider would be able to run validation based on the provided documentation, and all data errors would be fixed at that point. Now you can create such brief (FFC) that will be stored in XML document, while your partners will be able to validate files using free and easily accessible Flat File Checker application.